Thursday, August 21, 2008

History of my world pt.1

I was born in Columbus, Ohio on October 5th , 1978. My dad worked for Wendy's in Dublin (a suburb of Columbus). In 1987 he was named regional director of finance and we had to move in the middle of my 3rd grade school year to Keller, Texas (a subrub of Dallas). I lived there until I graduated from high school in 1997. Keller is a great place to grow up. I met some of my closest friends that I still keep in touch to this day with. They mostly went to college at Texas A&M. My dad grew up in Chicago and raised me to cheer for the cubs, I don't know if that was a blessing or a curse, but hopefully this is the year that we can finally win the world series and end the 100 year drought. After college I went to school in Searcy, Arkansas at a private christain univeristy called Harding. Harding is affliated withe churches of christ. It was definelty a culture shock coming from Dallas to Searcy. It is a slower pace of life and less to do, but I did enjoy it. The rules were the hardest part but once you figured them out it was fine. Only 30% of the students from Harding were from Arkansas the rest were out of state. It was different going to school with people from all 50 states, each with their own personalities and characteristics. At Harding you are requied to live in the dorms all four years, which by your senior year you are ready to move out but looking back on it that is where some of my fondest memories come from. Slip N Slip in the hall ways, flooding the prison style bathrooms and floating on intertubes, to all night 007/NCAA football tournaments. Because of these unique experiences it was a fun time. The hardest part for me was the difference between churches of christ in other parts of the country. My church back home had musical intrumental service, a women's youth minister, and a praise team. In some churches of christ these things were meant you were on the road to hell. For those of you not raised in the churches fo christ, each church is self runned and do not report to a governing body (ex. SBC). This makes each church different from the next one. Depending on which region of the united states you come from and the people making up the church this leads you to make decisions that might be different than others. This was a biggest change for me and really made me study and learn what I believed, not just what my parents had taught me. I played soccer at Harding for four years. I married a girl from Searcy, which is on of the things I said I would never do but ending up doing. After college I planned on moving back to Dallas with my wife Audrey. I was going to work for a public accounting firm and she was going to teach school. We got an apartment and when I told her that she would only have to travel one hour to work and that I would travel about 90 minutes to work I could see in her eyes this was going to be a hard move for her. So I decided to move to Searcy and try living there for a few years and see how that went. That is how I ended up a Texan living up in Arkansas.

No comments: